Sunday, October 26, 2008

A photographer in the making

A couple of Christmases ago, my husband and I received a fantastic gift, a digital Cannon Rebel SLR camera. Until a few months ago, I always though of the camera as belonging to JJ, mainly because he was the one who took the time to read the manual, purchased accessories and lenses, and could take really great pictures. For some reason all the bells and whistles, along with the bulk of the camera was completely unappealing to me. In fact, JJ bought me a tiny camera to carry with me to encourage me to take more pictures. (By the way, I love my little camera).

When Carter arrived and I had a few months to awaken from the "mother-of-a-newborn -fog," I began taking tons of pictures of Carter with my little camera. But when I would upload them onto my computer to view them, the photos were often grainy, out of focus, or had major red eye problems. Knowing that I would be primarily responsible for documenting Carter's milestone moments ( since I'm with him most of the time), I decided it was time to start playing with the big camera.

I began to experiment with the different lenses, focus, and lighting- using Carter as my primary subject. I must have taken hundreds of pictures( thanks to Carter's cooperative attitude), then I would upload them and critique myself. I discovered that using the Cannon wasn't as hard or cumbersome as I first thought. In fact, it's quite difficult to take a bad picture with it. My favorite aspect is the creative part of photo-taking. I've discovered that it is fun to play with angles and lighting. I'm even learning a little about how to use photoshop to enhance my pictures. I actually think I would enjoy taking a real photography class. I'd love to learn how to do creative portraits for my family and friends. I've got a lot to learn, but who knows.....maybe I'm a photographer in the making. But for now, it's a fun new hobby that I really enjoy.

Here's a few of my favorite shots of Carter that were taken last week:

















5 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

We love ours....we actually have that same camera. Matt got it as a Father's Day present right before Caleb was born (he got it early). It takes the best pictures. Matt really knows how to use it..I am just learning also :) He has looked into taking some classes at UT but so far they haven't worked into his work schedule. If money wasn't an option he would do that for a living (he is that good). It takes awhile to make it as a photographer b/c of building clientel (and he does have those 3 kids to provide for). The pics of Carter are great, you are doing a great job. And you are right about having a hard time messing up...my mom is the worst with a camera and she actually has taken some great shots with our camera :)

April said...

I have always enjoyed photography, though I have never had a class. I, too, think it would be fun to take one. You do have excellent subject matter! Carter's a cutie! :) Great pics.

Cindy said...

Everyone I know who has one of those cameras loves it...what a nice gift! Looks like you're definitely getting the hang of it. My friend Betsy is a photographer...check out her blog link on mine (Betsy and the Boys)...she always comes up with creative angles and ideas!

Sara said...

Carter is adorable! I see Mick in the background..you should do some of them together. That would make for some cute shots!

Allison said...

Love the hood!!! Can't wait to see yall Friday.