Thursday, June 5, 2008

Need Any Help With Those Bags???

Carter is four months old and I'm just now getting to the point where I feel like I can go places with just the two of us without it being some major ordeal. Today was actually the first time I've attempted to take Carter to the grocery store with me. Usually JJ or I will go on a weekend while the other stays home with our little man. But, neither one of us likes to tackle the madness of grocery shopping on the weekends. Plus, our pantry and fridge were completely bare. So I figured today was as good as any to see how shopping with my little man would go.

I was pleased with how Carter behaved in the car, riding quietly in his car seat and checking out his cool hanging toys (as you some of you know, this is a major breakthrough). When we arrived at the store, I strapped him in a little jeep carrier that is worn like a front backpack.....very stylish might I add. I figured this was a great way to have plenty of room in the buggy, plus allowing me to be hands-free. This was the first time he was strapped facing outward, so he really seemed to enjoy being able to see all the colorful stuff. I ended up buying a ton of groceries, completely filling the cart to the point that it was difficult to push. Carter was fantastic the entire time. We proceeded to the check out and one of the young employees began unloading my stuff onto the belt. I was thrilled to just stand there and watch someone else unload my huge grocery pile! Then, I was asked if I needed help out to my car. I've never actually taken them up on that offer until today. It was so nice to have someone else load my car. This may sound silly, but I felt totally pampered! I gave the girl a few bucks for her help and was on my way. I think it was the most enjoyable grocery trip I've ever had. I'll probably never go back to loading my own groceries!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great first trip to the grocery store? Was it Ingles? I love that place! I'm so glad it went well for both of you. Remind me to tell you sometime about my first trip to Walmart with both boys by myself. It's laughable!!

April said...

I'm soo glad that first big shopping trip went smoothly. That is a great confidence booster for future outings! I, too, never took anyone up on their offer to assist with the bags...until I had children! Now, when they offer, I most certainly say, "yes, please!" Sadly, it never occured to me to tip them. I bet they think I'm the rudest customer ever-HA. :)

Ginger said...

I tried once to tip a long time ago and was told they can't accept tips, so I've never tried again.
Sounds like you had a great first grocery outing. Now, when you have two...things are different!!

Melanie said...

When my Carter was little I used the front carrier a lot. He loved it and I could go shopping in the mall or Target forever! At least it seemed like it. He would smile at everyone and even went to sleep in it a few times. I thought he would outgrow that when we turned him facing out, but he didn't. Think of all the outings you can brave now...

LesLee said...

Glad to hear that you two are getting out more! It took me a while to take Allie to the grocery store for the first time when she was a baby, too. Not with Turner...I think I had him there when he was just a few weeks old! Turner loves his baby carrier, too. I never have to worry about him getting fussy in public as long as I'm "wearing" him!